MEDIA ALERT: “Sesame Street’s” Maria, Sonia Manzano, to speak at WSRE on Sept. 13
PENSACOLA, Fla., August 17, 2016—The WSRE Public Square Speakers Series will present Sonia Manzano on Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 7 p.m. in the Jean & Paul Amos Performance Studio. Manzano starred in the role of Maria on “Sesame Street” for 44 years until she retired from the show last year as one of its most recognizable faces and a role model for generations of young girls and women.
She will speak about educational children’s television, how children are taught cognitive skills, the impact of how children are depicted on television and how 9/11 affected children’s educational curriculum on “Sesame Street.”
Sponsored in-part by Gulf Power Company, the presentation has been scheduled in conjunction with WSRE’s participation in American Graduate—the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s long-term commitment to supporting community-based solutions for keeping youth on the track to a high school diploma and beyond. Admission is free.
- What: WSRE Public Square Speakers Series
- Who: Emmy-winning writer and actor Sonia Manzano (Maria on “Sesame Street”); presented by WSRE; sponsored in-part by Gulf Power Company
- Why: Opportunity to learn from one of the most knowledgeable people in educational children’s television and TV’s first Latina leading lady
- When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 13 (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
- Where: WSRE Jean & Paul Amos Performance Studio
- Pensacola State College, 1000 College Blvd., Pensacola, FL 32504
- Admission is free. Reservations requested: wsre.org/speakers.
Sonia Manzano played Maria on “Sesame Street” for 44 years. (Photo Credit: Richard Termine)
Media Relations Contact: