WSRE announces “Summer of Adventure” TV specials and events
PBS travels the globe, and WSRE brings the world home to local families
PENSACOLA, Fla., May 31—This summer, WSRE will give viewers a sweeping look at some of the most fascinating places on Earth, adventurous children’s specials, and family activities that promote literacy and early learning at Blue Wahoos Stadium.
The season’s “PBS Summer of Adventure” features a strong primetime lineup of history, science and natural history programs from around the globe:
- “The Story of China” (Tues., June 20, 27 & July 1) with historian/host Michael Wood;
- “Big Pacific” (Wed., June 21–July 12) about the ocean’s rare and dazzling creatures;
- “Great Yellowstone Thaw” (Wed., June 21–July 5) with Smithsonian’s Kirk Johnson, who explores the dramatic seasonal changes that affect the park’s wildlife;
- “Nature’s Great Race” (Wed., July 12–26) about scientific teams who utilize new technology to track animals of the Arctic wilderness and African bush;
- “Weekend in Havana” (Tues., July 18) featuring a glimpse of the beauty of the city that only recently re-opened to Americans;
- “Rare—Creatures of the Photo Ark” (Tues., July 18–Aug. 1) about renowned photographer Joel Sartore’s quest to document and save animals at risk of extinction;
- “Ireland’s Wild Coast” (Wed., Aug. 2) following Emmy award-winning cameraman Colin Stafford-Johnson’s journey along his homeland’s rugged Atlantic coast.
“This family-friendly lineup is designed to encourage family night screen time and exploring together beyond TV—whether outdoors or online at PBSLearningMedia.org, where families will find thousands of free learning resources,” said Jill Hubbs, WSRE Educational Services director.
PBS KIDS Specials
New, adventuresome summer specials are also scheduled for kids on both WSRE and the new WSRE PBS KIDS channel:
- “Nature Cat: Ocean Commotion” (Mon.–Fri., June 19–23);
- “Wild Kratts Alaska: Hero’s Journey” (Premieres Mon., July 24);
- “Ready Jet Go!: Back to Bortron 7” (Mon.–Fri., Aug. 14–18).
WSRE PBS KIDS now broadcasts over-the-air 24/7 on Channel 23.4 and via local cable providers, and it streams live at pbskids.org and on the PBS KIDS Video app.
WSRE Imagination Station: Expanded Summer Hours
WSRE will also bring the “Summer of Adventure” theme to Blue Wahoos Stadium in Pensacola, where the WSRE Imagination Station is expanding its public hours of operation during June and July to be open six days a week, Monday through Saturday, from 9 a.m. to noon.
The WSRE Imagination Station is also open during Blue Wahoos home games, and the Minor League Baseball team will partner with WSRE to host the “Hit a Homerun for Early Learning” special event, featuring family activities and costumed characters, during the Sunday, Aug. 13 game verses the Mobile Bay Bears.
“We’re excited to be this area’s home for some of the most creative, inspiring and educational programming on TV this summer,” said Hubbs, “and we look forward to having some extra time for engaging in early learning fun with local parents and kids at the stadium.”
WSRE’s program schedule and event information is published online at wsre.org. Admission to the WSRE Imagination Station is free, and children must be accompanied by an adult.
Media Relations Contact: